The American Field Service World War II Records include personnel records, identification cards, reports, printed material, publications, official war diaries and logs, correspondence, and other administrative files generated by the organization at its various offices and headquarters during the war until the start of the AFS student exchange programs in 1947. The bulk of the collection consists of the correspondence, publications, scrapbooks, personnel files, and identification cards kept at New York Headquarters, although there are also administrative files from the regional representatives in Boston and Detroit. Overseas material includes administrative files, publications, war diaries, and logs from the AFS offices and field headquarters near the French and British forces. In addition to the wartime material, the collection includes post-war documents related to repatriation and the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA), which some AFS ambulance drivers joined after the war, as well as two boxes of unsorted material. These unsorted files contain personnel applications, documents related to 485 and 567 Ambulance Car Companies, and ambulance plaque information. They also include later correspondence dated as late as 1958, which was likely related to George Rock’s The History of the American Field Service, 1920-1955 (1956, American Field Service, Inc.)
See the individual series descriptions for more information.